Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I'm off to SCERTS training

Hello all! I'd like to apologize for the slow addition of new material to my blog. I've been rather busy lately, and there are some exciting developments on the horizon.

Tomorrow I am off to Milwaukee to learn more about the SCERTS program. SCERTS stands for Social Communication, Emotional Regulation, and Transactional Support. It is my understanding that this program is similar to RDI in theory and strategies, but without the strict protocol requirements. It is my hope that the SCERTS model will offer an alternative for families who are unable to afford a full RDI program at this time, but who still want to treat their child's core deficits of autism.

I will be posting more information here next week. Have a wonderful holiday!

4 comments:

Bright Side of Life said...

Hi there. I have just joined your blog. I live in South Africa and have a 9yr old son with ASD. RDI is not available in South Africa. Although a handful of parents (including myself) are under the quidence of a consultant from the States. He is due to visit us again soon. As you can imagine the expense of bringing someone here is rather large to say the least!

With your permission could I please copy your posts to hand out to people interested in RDI. I know I am not a consultant and I am not sure if the Connection Centre would agree BUT there are so many people here who need help and even if I can help just one family by giving them some basic info.

Look forward to your reply! :)
Di

Laurel said...

Sure Di. Best of luck to you and your family

Unknown said...

May I ask your thoughts about SCERTS? My son has improved with RDI, but the protocol is difficult to follow, at least it is for me .....I'm a older single parent with two special needs kids and I work full-time, My son is now 15, and I'd love to find something perceived as simpler than RDI for my son's sitters and teachers.

Thanks in advance.

Laurel said...

Di - e-mail me privately at ljoss@newhopeforautism.com. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability. Take care, Laurel